4.23.2007

cocoa's call to arms!!!

Brad directed me to this article. Thanks honey! And thank you Slashdot!


"The US Food and Drug Administration is considering redefining 'chocolate' to allow substitution of vegetable oil ($0.70/lb.) for cocoa butter ($2.30/lb.), and whey protein for dry whole milk. There are already standard terms to differentiate these products from chocolate, such as 'chocolatey' and 'chocolate-flavored.' The change was requested by the industry group Chocolate Manufacturers of America. Leading the resistance to this change is high-end chocolate maker Guittard, with significant grass-roots support from the Candyblog. The FDA is taking consumer comments until April 25. Here is the FDA page on the proposed change, which oddly enough does not say what the proposed change is."

The fiends!!!!! I swear, the FDA are full of greedy idiots, and men...

I'm most certainly adding a comment and I hope you all will too. This is NOT ok. I mean, yes, I love chocolate. But I'm also concerned about how this will affect our health. Everything should be left in its natural form if at all possible and substituting vegetable oil for cocoa butter is UNACCEPTABLE!!! Bah! That stuff is swill! And whey protein for dry whole milk?! What do they think this stuff will taste like? I mean, formula is approved but have they actually tasted it? Filth. I try not to cringe every time I give it to Will (which I consider unfortunate but necessary, but we're finally in the process of switching him over to goat milk! Yay, for my sanity's sake! And boo, for my moolah's sake.)... Just because every so-called health fanatic who consumes protein bars and protein drinks thinks whey protein is supreme (me not being one of them... I'm being a snob and being sarcastic when referring to so-called healthy people, sorry) does not mean it needs to be in everything, especially everything chocolate flavored. Annnnnd, Heaven forbid chocolate actually taste like chocolate and not artificially flavored with that nasty nutri-sweet aftertaste. But with that last comment, I digress....

The only positive thing I can see come from all of this is that there will be more cocoa butter for body butters (aka. thick lotion) and more milk powder for at-home foot soaks (I have a recipe for a fun chocolate spa night, with chocolate foot soaks and facials, etc... anyone who's been to one would know! Speak up! :P)! I digress again...

As it is late, I am not typing intelligently and all of my logic has holes in it. The bottom line is that without cocoa butter it seems misleading to call it chocolate or milk. And I'm bothered about them changing something, once again, from what was once good and natural at one point, to something even more unhealthy than it currently is! I just want my daily anti-oxidant fix unadulterated, a'ight! Good night, and good luck.

4 comments:

  1. Glad your back. I missed some of my daily entertainment reading your blog. I need to call your mom cus I'm going to Cancun in June and I could use some travel tips. So Heidi, if you read this give me a call. Back to Beth... your little boy is a doll. I have 3 boys and they are the best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8:35 AM

    Beth, I'm shocked! You, needing a chocolate fix? I don't want anyone messing with my chocolate either.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, she is my daughter after all remember?!?!?! Nobody has the right to mess with chocolate!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw a link to this article a while ago on the PHD/Cecilia's blog (on my page). I guess if this happens, I will have more motivation to avoid chocolate. So, good + bad. I'm sure the healthy stores like Wild Oats will still carry unadulterated chocolate.

    ReplyDelete

You're currently in the process of making my day. So thanks for that! *B