4.22.2008

busy thinkin' stuff

So, my blog has kinda slowed down in the area of postage, eh? Sorry, to anyone who is or has been disappointed by that fact. Anyway, I just haven't been feeling it, as of late. No reason, really. But I had to get on here and post something, so that TMI post wasn't at the top anymore. Thanks for all the well wishes! And I'll keep you posted with as much info as you can stomach, because as P-dub would say I'm just "keepin' it real."

Now, this handsome little devil of mine has been keepin' me preoccupied, physically and mentally. I haven't been tending for a few weeks now, so it's just been me and him. Some days were hard and long, and boring without a play mate. But I've been getting back into the groove of things; of our buddiness. And I've really enjoyed it. How can I not? Look at that face!!!



(Lindsey captured him, perfectly)

I've also been thinking a lot about blogging, in general. The whole private vs. public debate... and guess what? I'm staying public. While I believe some may have some valid concern about going private (it is your blog after all, do as you will), I don't feel the same. I've made so many friends and met so many amazing and wonderful people throughout this community. But, I'm careful to not associate myself in certain circles, etc. Just to be safe. And really, a stalker? Stalking me? Puhlease! Who am I to stalk? Besides, the crazies could find me without a blog.

With that being said, I'm not one to divulge in my lifestyle as a mom. Yes, I just referenced the fact that we are trying to get pregnant. That's pretty personal. I realize that. But what I'm not going to do is post a million pictures of my child(ren) and list all of my daily routines. It's just not smart. What's more is that this isn't entirely a mom blog. Sorry to all the family out there who wants to read nothing more than how us Summers are doing, pictures galore et al. Yes, I'm a mom. Yes, I love being a mom. But I'm a mom all day, every day, 24/7. I don't feel like I have to prove how hard I'm trying to be a good mom. And I would go crazy if that's all I thought about. And that's why I craft. That's why I blog. Because I'm a person, too. Not just a mom.

Tangent over. And, I'm about to share a little of my mom side, so jump back (and feel free to call me a hypocrite)! As I was saying, I've been really enjoying my little boy. He's not a baby anymore. He's on the verge of becoming a real, live big boy. He's growing up before my eyes and if I'm not careful, I'm going to miss it! Just a few things he's been doing or saying to melt my heart:
  • Talking. A lot. Things like, "Excuse me? Can I hold that?"
  • Pretending. A lot. Like treasure hunts, making cookies and juice, etc.
  • Playing. We play a lot of board games and we take a lot of walks. Just today we went on a bug walk where we kept our eyes' open for pill bugs so we could scare them into balls and then flick them (I know, I'm a mean mom and a bad example...).
  • Baths. All the time. It's amazing (and wonderful) how much four inches of water, some bubbles and a couple of water guns will entertain a toddler.
  • Crafts. I've been having a lot of fun making things. And so has Monk. I'm trying to really encourage his sense of creativity. We're already working on some needle-friendly skills. And I just received my wonderful win of a book: The Creative Family. I'm so excited to try out everything. Thanks Kim! And thank you, SouleMama.
  • Mischief. The kid's got brains and he puts them to good use. He knows how to work our entire entertainment system. It's not only impressive that he can find and insert the DVD of his choice (which usually requires dragging a chair over and removing the previous movie), but it's also pretty miraculous how well the finger smudged discs play...
  • Illness. The poor boy's been sick these past couple of days, which just breaks my heart. But of course he's been mostly sweet, laying on the couch for hours watching movies while mom re-reads her not-so-trashy vampire romance novels. I think he's on the mend, though. Whew.
And there you have it. My thoughts. And believe me, I have many more...
For another day. *B

23 comments:

  1. I always love to read all of your thoughts and hear them too! I am so glad my boy is feeling better and that you are enjoying your time together!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That makes me feel a little bit conscious about what I put on my blog or what people think about it, mine is all about my kids although I do try to leave out details that I think could be trouble, in fact I can't really imagine anyone wanting to read my blog, I just do it for me. I love to read yours though, you so often have such thought provoking posts, I wish I could remember my thoughts long enough to get them on my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beth,
    Well said. I believe I feel the same way as you about everything you stated!

    Additionally,
    Will is just getting more and more handsome every day. He truly is an adorable little boy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah B--A post from you! LOVIN' it--though, I do feel like you are saying I am stupid because I blog the way I do! :) Oh well--to each his own, right? Just FYI--some of us aren't out there trying to prove we're trying to be a good mom--we just like to put those thousand pics to document our life. With the brain I have had lately, I need that for my own memory! :)

    Glad you have been enjoying the momma stuff too--your boy is a doll. Those pics are priceless!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just want everyone to know that I'm NOT pointing fingers at anyone! I love everyone and their blogs, no matter how you decide to fill it. Please, don't be offended, it would just crush me...
    Love, B

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am glad that you are not going private. We are not family and I only know you through your blog, but I am so glad that I do. You are awesome and so talented. Thanks for "keepin' it real" and letting us know what is going on with you. We love it all!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my goodness Will is getting so big! Those pictures are awesome and he is SO cute!! I'm behind ya 100% on blogging. I need to keep my sanity too by blogging my random thoughts and more! I'm so glad we can keep in touch through this wonderful world of the internet.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beth, I love you. I am so glad that you guys moved in here. Those pics of Will are adorable. He is so cute with Kierscha, (most of the time :)

    thanks for the not-so-trashy vampire books...i should be done with the first one tomorrow, or the next day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. First off...the pictures of little Will seriously need to be put in a magazine. Secondly, totally have been having the same public versus private debate...my MIL may kill me if I don't go private in fact...and loved hearing more about your mom thoughts...you're great whatever you talk about.

    ReplyDelete
  10. He is so cute! Beth you should write and publish. I'd read it. I'm already enthralled with your blog, why not write a novel to make me think!?!

    ReplyDelete
  11. you won The Creative Family??? you are a lucky lady... but we knew that already.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am glad you are staying public! Where would I be without getting to read about you/stalk you. ;) I'm so glad you are enjoying being a mommy...that sounds like a fun adventure. Maybe someday... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I always enjoy a post from you. I'm not quite as concerned with the public/private debate. My name is pretty common and I doubt anyone could find us unless they tried REALLY hard. Your little Monk is darling. I love those pictures of him.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That boy is so darned cute! You are an amazing photographer.

    Your post made me giggle a little, cause I was worried about cloggin' up my blog with my CRAFT stuff when really all my readers want to know about are my KIDS. Hopefully the prob will be solved soon once my new crafty site is finally up and running...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yeah, mine's pretty much just a mom site... I've just found that I'm not really that clever or thoughtful to put up random thoughts... not a lot of thinking going on anymore, but I love your random thoughts! To each his own, I say... I'll always read it, no matter what you say... and those pics really are gorgeous. Such a happy face...

    ReplyDelete
  16. I agree, what's not to love about that face?!

    ReplyDelete
  17. He is SO freakin' CUTE! What a great Mom you are!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Um, doesn't the term blog come from "web log," as in record or account (a.k.a. "log") on the "web." I'm guessing that's probably why the majority of people write about their daily routines and occurrences on their blogs (as boring and shallow as that may sound). That might also explain why, in the case of a mother, her blog is generally full of pictures of her children - they are her life/daily routine. The blog simply documents ("logs")that. Using a blog to belittle the way most conventional bloggers blog is a bit like using a megaphone to denounce the use of megaphones as a means of amplifying one's voice.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I think some people reading this are too caught up in their own world and are not listening to what you are really saying. This is not about criticizing other bloggers. But then those who are offended do not really know you, do they?? (Or they would have paid attention.)

    ReplyDelete
  21. B--wow! What a misunderstood post! Glad I got your inside explanation from you and cleared up whatever little offense I took!

    Sorry there are several others who didn't get it right either!!

    You are a sweetheart!! A total sweetheart. With a sweetheart little boy to boot!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I loved that little look into your mom-hood. I love your blog about the other things you are and am so glad you are so fulfilled! I'm such a mom-blogger that I'm sure some are bored with my kid(s)' antics. Oh, well. Hope you share some of the ideas you get out of that family creative book...would love some fun things to do this summer!

    ReplyDelete
  23. ditto to everything... the whole public vs. private debate. i too totally understand why people go private. but i've met soooo many people. and like you said, if there are any crazies out there, they'll find you anyway.

    ReplyDelete

You're currently in the process of making my day. So thanks for that! *B