3.26.2013

why we homeschool, part I

[source]
I'm not necessarily anti-schooling, but I definitely think the public school system isn't for everyone... I feel like it's an institution that tries too often to fit square pegs into little round holes. And there is nothing worse than feeling like a bad mom with a troubled kid, especially when you know neither is true!

Will is on his third year of public school, and I've had to develop a thick skin. But it is so very hard to watch his confidence waver and watch him doubt his own self worth because he is incorrectly labeled by his superiors. Little boys are little boys, and accidents happen. Tolerance is practiced when convenient, simply because there's no time for it. And I don't blame the schools for trying! I know how hard it is teaching a primary class of five for two hours; I can't imagine what it would be like to be a full-time school teacher and I give them props for trying.

I remember when I was in school, being told that school was my REAL home... My mother calls it glorified babysitting  But when your kids spend more time away from home, then you are allowing the babysitter to discipline your child the best they can. And sometimes their best isn't necessarily the best.  *B

3 comments:

  1. School, your REAL home? Poppycock! Balderdash I says! Then again, I did have awesome art teachers...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm proud of you for so many reasons!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are amazing! I have been really thinking about the same thing for Carson because I don't want his self worth to waver, like you described, and I haven't even had him in public school at all. Let me know how it goes for you, because we may be starting our own version of homeschooling REAL soon!!

    ReplyDelete

You're currently in the process of making my day. So thanks for that! *B